The Poland Presbyterian Church on the Village Green was the center of the religious community until 1834 when the Methodists built their first church on North Main Street. Looking over old church records, we find a few skeletons in the Presbyterian’s closet which to the congregation at that time were matters of a serious nature and required public acknowledgement and often religious reprimands. Today these skeletons would not offend any church member but to the community 180 years ago they required prompt action by the Church’s session.

Poland May 5th 1821…Session met according to appointment - members present. Rev. James Wright Moderator - John Arrel, John Mc Clelland, Stephen Saxton, William McCombs, Robert Smith and James Adair, Elders.
Hugh Truesdale came voluntarily before Session and gave information as to having an affair with one of his neighbors wherein blow on both sides were exchanged and angry passions were excited. His acknowledgement and professed sorrow for the affair were quite satisfactory to Session. Session ordered the above confession be read publicly in the congregation.

Poland 30th April 1822…Session met agreeably to previous notice.
A general rumor reached the session that William Brown, a member in full communion in this Congregation, on the 5
th day of April was in a state of intoxi-cation in the Village of Poland when at the house of Jared Kirtland, Innkeeper.
Being deeply sensible that such reports would be “hurtfull” to the character of church members and very injurious to the cause of religion, the session agreed to take up the above report as a charge of immorality against him. They therefore charged the said William Brown with being guilty of the sin of intoxication. William Brown appeared before Session and stated he had an occasional weakness in his knees and lightness in his head so that he could hardly stand or walk. The Session not being satisfied with this statement over the next year called many witnesses who testified that they had all seen William Brown intoxicated and staggering around in Kirtland’s barroom.

At the June 17th 1823 Session meeting, William Brown confessed of drinking to excess and expressed sorrow and a determination to correct his conduct in the future. Before the Session could reach a verdict it received another report of improper conduct by William Reed, Jr. to his wife. A second committee was appointed and later reported that William Reed, Jr. had drank too much apple brandy and for his conduct with his wife he was very sorry and would not let it happen again. The session voted to suspend Mr. Reed from the privileges of the Church until he gave satisfactory evidence of repentance.

On August 18th 1823 the session met to consider the acknowledgements and confession of William Brown. The session was of the opinion that it would neither promote the spiritual interest of William Brown, nor restore him to his former standing in the Church. The following session meeting started out with a bang. Thomas Love came before the session and acknowledged he was guilt of adultery and expressed his sincere sorrow. Since Thomas Love was a man advanced in years and having a wife of his own, the session adopted a resolution that Mr. Love be suspended for one year and until his upright conduct gives evidence of the sincerity of his confession. Unfortunately, Mr. Love was found guilty of committing adultery a second time while the husband was upstairs in bed. So went life in Poland, Ohio.